Potassium is one of the seven vital macro minerals and maybe a major dietary mineral that helps to balance the body&pH and body fluids. It’s important to take care of this vital macromineral within the body. So, you want to include potassium-rich food in your diet. The NutriFit India suggests an intake of three, 510mg/day potassium within the diet. The body needs a minimum of 2-2.5 grams per day and about 0.8-1.5 grams per 1,000 calories consumed.
The functions of potassium within the body include:
- Controlling the acid-base equilibrium and therefore the electrical activity of the guts and other muscles.
- It neutralizes the consequences of sodium and helps to take care of consistent vital signs.
- It helps in breaking down the carbohydrates, building muscles and maintaining normal body growth.
- An increase in potassium-rich food alongside a decrease in sodium is crucial for lowering vital signs and reducing other severe health issues.
For this, dietary modifications are important. Potassium-rich foods maintain an alkaline environment within the body. High potassium intake reduces the danger of mortality by 20 %. It also decreases the danger of stroke, lowers vital signs, protects against loss of muscle mass, preserves bone mineral density, and reduces the formation of kidney stones.
Best sources of potassium
- Potassium is found in many whole and unprocessed foods. a number of the simplest sources of potassium are :
- Fresh leafy greens like spinach, parsley, lettuce, broccoli, peas, avocados, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes
- Fruits like oranges and other citrus fruits, bananas, apples, kiwi, avocados, raisins, and dried apricots
- Whole grains, nutriment
- Seeds and nuts.
- Coconut Water
- Fish like salmon and cod
- Milk and yogurt
Potassium is haunted by the tiny intestine and kept controlled by the kidneys. A more than potassium is released through the urine and within the sort of sweat. Dietary products like alcohol, coffee (and caffeine drinks), sugar, and diuretic drugs, cause potassium losses and may contribute to reducing potassium levels within the blood. Therefore, remove these foods for maintaining a healthy well being.