Nowadays Diabetes may be a common disorder among people of any age bracket . It’s a life-style , disorder , which causes hyperglycemia, which happens from either defect in insulin secretion or insulin action or sometimes both. Gestational Diabetes may be a sort of diabetes that’s observed during pregnancy. A female who doesn’t have a history of diabetes and if during pregnancy her blood sugar levels are increased, it’s referred to as gestational diabetes. It’s tested during 24 and 28 weeks of gestation.
In today’s world when gestational diabetes has become quite common , there’s an issue that comes into our mind, why do some women face this issue do not? This is often because there are many factors which will contribute to gestational diabetes, obesity being one among them. Let’s take a glance at the common factors:-
- Overweight and Obesity
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Polycystic Ovary Disease
- Previous Gestational Diabetes or Prediabetes
- Lack of Physical Activity
Not only does gestational diabetes affect the pregnant mother but it also affects the baby itself. If not treated well, it are often fatal for both mothers also because the child. It may result in preeclampsia and high vital sign , which may be life-threatening. Complications might occur during the method of kid delivery also , there are more chances of surgical delivery or C section delivery. If untreated or just in case of negligence, it may result in type two diabetes within the future and there are chances to urge gestational diabetes in future pregnancies also .
Read More: Diabetes Management
It not only affects the mother but also can cause complications that affect the baby, like:
- Premature Baby or Preterm Birth
- Excessive Birth Weight
- Breathing difficulty
Gestational diabetes also results in the danger of developing type two diabetes within the future within the baby.
The next question that comes into our mind is the way to treat it?
The simple answer to the present question is that we’d like to take care of a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy food and staying physically active. One shouldn’t panic as stress wouldn’t help but it might worsen it. There are certain things to stay in mind like:
- Always plan the pregnancy and begin at a healthy weight.
- Eat healthy food, search for portion size and include seasonal fruits and vegetables into your diet
- Maintain your weight during pregnancy and don’t gain extra than recommended
- Stay physically active and maintain an honest workout regime.
- Get blood glucose checked regularly
- Consult and follow up together with your doctor regularly
- If needed, take insulin as directed by your doctor.
For healthy eating follow these simple guidelines:
- Include lean proteins in your diet like fish, egg, tofu, beans, etc.
- Include plant-based fat sources like copra oil , olive oil, nuts, and seeds.
- Consume low-fat dairy items like greek yogurt.
- Prefer green leafy vegetables and avoid starchy ones.
- Enjoy seasonal fruits 2-3 times each day .
- Incorporate whole grains and flours like oatmeal, barley, whole wheat, rice , quinoa.
- Make sure to eat lentils and pulses once during a day preferably at lunchtime.
- Prefer vegetable juices, roasted chana, soya puffs, vegetable soups, chicken stock and sprouts for snacks whenever you are feeling hungry!
Read More: Diabetes Control Diet
The Best thanks to counterbalancing this state is by eating healthy, managing your stress levels and doing right and safe exercises. Many might consider taking some supplements or doing ayurvedic herbs course to manage Gestational Diabetes. But always remember to consult your Gynecologist or Doctor before even thinking of starting anything new!
Read More: NutriFit